Hi Chris/All,

Here in the Adirondacks, the lack of Winter Wrens is quite noticeable and
alarming.  On one of my recent trips, out all day, we didn't hear any!  (That
has never happened before.)  At our home (in Long Lake) we usually have at
least 3 we can hear singing, and for the first time in over 20 years, we don't
hear any.  I received a call from a birder friend in the Adirondacks yesterday
and he specifically asked me if I had noted the lack of Winter Wrens (& Hermit
Thrushes – yes, on this species also).

I was up on Whiteface Mountain at dawn on 5/27/18 and we could only remember
hearing 2 to 3 singing Winter Wrens - they are usually abundant on the peak and
dominate the airwaves with their songs.  I'm sure this dramatic decline will be
reflected in Mountain Birdwatch data this year.  (Bicknell’s Thrushes sang and
called from 4:20 to 5:40 a.m.)  Swainson’s Thrush numbers are also noticeably
down – both at high and low elevation (in addition to many other species
declines I am observing this year – disturbing).

Joan Collins
Editor, New York Birders
Long Lake, NY
(315) 244-7127 cell