From: Shaibal Mitra
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 2:23 PM
To: NYSBIRDS (NYSBIRDS-L@cornell.edu)
Subject: RE: [nysbirds-l] Dark billed, dark legged Common Terns on Long Island

Again, nobody is saying we know for sure what these birds are. But those who
know the most about the records in question find them intriguing, and, having
studied variation in hirundo collectively with great interest for many decades,
remain uncomfortable with that null hypothesis. Another hypothesis that people
have offered is hirundo x Arctic Tern hybrid; genetic incompatibility might
result in deviations in various traits associated with normal breeding
condition. Another possibility (which could account for the oddity that
most/all have been "second-summer types" (based on white in the forehead,
mottling on the underparts, and atypical primary replacement pattern) is that
just a couple of birds have been rattling up and down the Atlantic and have
gotten old and lonely.

The cool thing about the better candidates is that they would absolutely stand
out from hirundo in multiple ways, even if their bills and legs were colored
exactly like typical hirundo:

They are long-winged--as judged relative to their bodies, resembling Arctic
Tern in this way
They are very long-tailed--at least one with tail streamers extending beyond
the tips of their already relatively long wings
They are intensely gray below--more intensely gray than even high breeding
hirundo; this is especially notable on second-summer types, because
second-summer type hirundo tend to be less intensely gray than even dull
breeding adult hirundo
They have shorter, subtly different shaped bills than typical
hirundo--obviously just a supporting character, easily matched by variant
hirundo, but interesting because supposedly typical of longipennis

Their dark bills catch the eye but as Joe noted are not that exceptional for
hirundo, even in June. In contrast, their dark legs are vastly more unusual at
this date. In my experience, dark legs are extremely rare among hirundo in
May-June, even within each of the odd-ball categories: adults that arrive with
dark bills, second-summer types, and first-summers.

Getting back to the question at hand, yes, there have been carefully
scrutinized, documented, and published longipennis candidates from NJ, LI, RI,
and MA (I recall less clearly one from the UKin this time frame also). I have
collected (but not assembled and analyzed) the particulars on these over the
years. The place to look for the best information is not eBird or other online
sites, but rather North American Birds, the relevant state publications, and
the original documents, photos, and correspondence I've archived (and promise
some day to publish).

The first one I remember was from Rhode Island; it was photographed and
published in North American Birds. The issues are right there on my shelf, but
I don't have time or interest to search right now.
This was earlier, I think, than one from NJ in 2003.
Another was studied and photographed by Scott Whittle and me at Moriches Inlet
in June 2009.
2011 brought not only the LI bird we've been discussing, but another at
Muskeget Island, off Nantucket, studied by Vern Laux and photographed by Peter
Trimble.

>From an email from Dick Veit: "Factors distinguishing this [Muskeget] bird
>from other terns include (aside from the blackish bill) reddish brown legs,
>upperparts darker gray than local common terns, bill rather short, head more
>rounded, rather "domed", underparts darkish gray (though not as dark as they
>would be in May), tail feathers longer than wingtips at rest, legs seemed
>slightly shorter than commons, though not as short as on arctic."

All this typing is cramping my scope-focusing hand. I think I might just head
down to an inlet, any inlet!

Best,
Shai