I spent four hours birding the Cupsogue flats on an outgoing tide late this
morning and early afternoon. Highlights included an immature Arctic Tern
(photos on my flickr site) and a single Royal Tern on the Moriches Inlet
sandbar. Eight species of shorebirds were observed, all common species, but a
hundred and five Semipalmated Sandpipers were a good number for this late date.
No luck on Sandwich or Black Tern.

If anyone is thinking about going out to Cupsogue this weekend (from the west)
US Open patrons are using Gabreski Airport to park and shuttle buses are going
in and out of the airport grounds frequently. They have a dedicated bus lane
down the middle of the road that slows things down a bit. It may be worthwhile
to get off one exit early and take Montauk Highway into Westhampton Beach.

Cheers,

Ken Feustel
http://www.flickr <http://www.flickr/>.com/photos/kfeustel/