Thanks John and Rick (and all those who wrote to me privately) for the
feedback :-).

The possibility of using spectrograms as a tracking tool for ID'ing
individual birds has become very intriguing to me. For example, if it
becomes established that adult Henslow's Sparrows only have one song in
their repertoire that never changes, and *IF* it turns out that its own
song is unique, like a fingerprint, then if the same spectrogram is
recorded elsewhere, one could possibly assume it was the same individual.
This line of reasoning had me return just now to the eBird database and
review the most recent audio files for 2018, hoping that I might find the
2017 Shawangunk bird represented somewhere in their treasure trove.  The
result is that I came across this eBird checklist from Centre County
Pennsylvania on 25 May 2018 that contains an audio file of a Henslow's.
Its spectrogram appears to match the spectrogram of last year's Henslow's
seen at Shawangunk:

Here's the Pennsylvania bird ( 25 May 2018):
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46124750

Here's one of the recordings of the New York bird (27 May 2017):
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S37188198

Do folks agree that the spectrograms and recordings look and sound fairly
similar?

I am cc'ing Nathan Pieplow on this, but he's based in Colorado and may not
subscribe to this list.  If his reply appears off-list, I will post it.

Karen Fung
NYC