Joe Giunta and I went to check out the North and South ends. The most common
bird was SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER at both ends (~100). Peep were in lesser
numbers, mostly SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS with a few LEAST mixed in. Most birds
were at the south end where we added a SPOTTED SANDPIPER, 5 KILLDEER and 4
STILT SANDPIPERS. Both YELLOWLEGS were present in small numbers. Also at the
South end were 15 GLOSSY IBIS, both NIGHT-HERONS, a GREAT BLUE HERON and GREAT
EGRET.

The water level is down, almost, but not quite where needed.  You can walk out
onto a mud flat (real mud, 2 inches gooey thick) at the North end. Passable,
but difficult footing.  Joe went and I passed (boots, no knee highs). At the
South end, we walked out on an extended dry flat with excellent views at birds
in the corners right and left and an extensive group of shorebirds directly in
front at the end of the dry area looking north. We did not go to Big Johns Pond
area.  If all continues, the place should be in good shape for the peak August
shorebird movement.
Sy Schiff

Sent from Mail for Windows 10