The adult Bridled Tern continues on Great Gull Island. This morning’s inclement
weather prevented me from checking for it then. I was finally able to check at
around 2:30 pm and it was in its usual area on the northeast corner of the
island. (It has now been here since August 3. Beside it being its third in a
row summer appearance.) Once again, I will mention that the island is a
research station and casual visitors are not allowed. However, several birders
have seen the bird from the lighthouse tours that pass by the island on their
way to Little Gull Island Light to the east. Earlier this week I posted a map
of Great Gull Island and the area the Bridled frequents on my Inwood Birder
blog (inwoodbirder.blogspot.com).

Anyone doing the lighthouse tour boat trip should continue to watch for
shearwaters. This morning’s weather and easterly winds brought more birds to
the vicinity of the island than I have seen since last weekend. This morning
there were at least 20 shearwaters in the race between Little Gull Island and
Fisher’s Island. They were about four to one Great Shearwaters to Cory’s
Shearwaters. This afternoon off the west end of the island among a fishing
flock of terns there were at least five Great Shearwaters and three Parasitic
Jaegers.

Joe DiCostanzo

Joe DiCostanzo

Sent from my iPad