I have received several inquiries over the past few days about the status of
the East Pond at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Queens Co. Rather than respond
individually, I am putting out a PSA.

As most of you know, the East Pond water level suffered a setback due to recent
heavy rains. NPS has kept on top of the water situation ensuring drainage is
going full throttle and providing feedback on the level. The latest update this
AM, shows that the water has dropped .6 in 36 hours.

Despite that apparent movement which is positive. The water on the pond remains
high. I just came from the north end of the pond and there is little to no
shoreline. The water is over my ankle.

If you are planning on visiting the pond and not familiar with navigating the
North End, I suggest birding the South End, keeping in mind that the water is
unusually high for the reasons stated earlier.

For those who work better with a visual. I tweeted a few photos of what the
pond looks like at the North End.
https://twitter.com/birdingdude/status/1030508687868276742?s=21

I will continue to provide updates when necessary. Let’s keep hoping for the
best.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions regarding birding the pond.

Cheers,

“It is certain, in any case, that ignorance, allied with power, is the most
ferocious enemy justice can have” ~ James A. Baldwin