All,

I was birding Upper Lisle this morning, I came up to the red gate on the
Truck Road and then started walking toward the spruces. I saw a lot of
birds in the weedy marshy area by the pond there, close to where the Glossy
Ibis was found this spring. I started some phishing and on the top of a
weekstalk was a NELSON'S SPARROW. This is unusual in that it is very early
for these species plus it is quite a rare bird for Broome County. The
sparrow was fairly small, but had clear orangish-yellow on the face, malar
stripe and along on the upper chest to the flanks where there was some
streaking. I got great looks at the bird before it flushed into the weeds
with a few song sparrows and others. If you try for this bird, it is very
weedy, and WET. This is the first Broome record in a few years and again
extremely early. I also had a nice mix of migrants on Claybanks trail
including: black-throated green, ovenbird, black and white, tennessee,
bay-breasted, canada warblers, american redstarts, yellow-throated vireo,
several red-eyed vireos, baltimore oriole, rose-breasted grosbeak, least
flycatcher and eastern wood-pewee all in one small area on the trail. The
trees were moving with birds as there was a large flock of cedar waxwings
too. There was also a steady "stream" of bobolinks flying over with their
"ink" "ink" calls.

E-bird list is below
Upper Lisle County Park, Broome, New York, US
Aug 19, 2018 6:32 AM - 9:08 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
56 species (+1 other taxa)

Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbellus)  3
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  1
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  2
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) (Ardea herodias [herodias Group])  3
Green Heron (Butorides virescens)  2
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  1
Barred Owl (Strix varia)  1    Bassett
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon)  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  1
Downy Woodpecker (Eastern) (Dryobates pubescens pubescens/medianus)  3
Hairy Woodpecker (Eastern) (Dryobates villosus [villosus Group])  1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) (Colaptes auratus auratus/luteus)  4
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens)  3
Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii)  1
Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus)  2
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  1
Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus)  3
Yellow-throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons)  1
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus)  5
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  2
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  5
Common Raven (Corvus corax)  1
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)  12
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  32
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  7
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)  3
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) (Sitta carolinensis carolinensis)  12
House Wren (Northern) (Troglodytes aedon [aedon Group])  2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (caerulea) (Polioptila caerulea caerulea)  1
Veery (Catharus fuscescens)  1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  6
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)  4
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  25
Purple Finch (Eastern) (Haemorhous purpureus purpureus)  5
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  11
Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla)  1
Nelson's Sparrow (Interior) (Ammospiza nelsoni nelsoni/altera)  1    * very
rare and unusually early.  Sparrow sized bird. Orangish Yellow  pattern on
face above eye, this yellowish pattern went down to upper breast including
malar. Grayish patch on face below eye.  Very distinctive.
Song Sparrow (melodia/atlantica) (Melospiza melodia melodia/atlantica)  3
Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus)  50    Stream of bobolinks overhead.
Estimated
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula)  3
Red-winged Blackbird (Red-winged) (Agelaius phoeniceus [phoeniceus Group])
2
Common Grackle (Bronzed) (Quiscalus quiscula versicolor)  3
Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla)  1
Blue-winged Warbler (Vermivora cyanoptera)  2
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia)  1
Tennessee Warbler (Oreothlypis peregrina)  2
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  15
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla)  1
Bay-breasted Warbler (Setophaga castanea)  1    Wing bars and worn Chestnut
on flanks.
Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica)  8
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens)  2
Canada Warbler (Cardellina canadensis)  1
warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.) (Parulidae sp.)  2
Northern Cardinal (Common) (Cardinalis cardinalis [cardinalis Group])  12
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus)  5
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea)  1

Dave Nicosia