Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) stopped on the way to Heckscher SP and birded the
bar at the Jones Beach Marina just before high tide. There were the usual
Common Terns, American Oystercatchers, Black-bellied Plover, Red Knot, Ruddy
turnstones and Short-billed Dowitchers. As the tide moved in and covered the
bar, all shorebirds but the Oystercatchers flew off.

We moved on to Heckscher. The remnant  puddle was about the size of a car. In
it were 1 Semipalmated Plover, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Killdeer and 1 Pectoral
Sandpiper. The surrounding grass held an additional 8 Killdeer. Very, very hot.
Birding and photography was done close up from the inside of an airconditioned
SUV. Very nice way to bird in hot weather.

Back to Jones on the way home. The bar was now partially exposed and in
addition to the returning earlier shorebirds, there were now some Sanderling
and Semipalmated Sandpipers. New for yesterday and today was a Western Willet
and 2 Royal Terns.

Sy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10