There was a decent Blue Jay flight over my house this morning along the north
shore of Oneida Lake.   I made it outside by 6:45 am to 50 degrees, clear skies
and light north winds.  There was an obvious fog bank over the lake that slowly
expanded itself throughout the morning, but eventually cleared out by 9:00 or
so.  The fog made it sometimes easier and sometimes harder to see the birds
that were moving.  Sunrise was at 6:52 and the first migrant Blue Jay passed at
7:01.  By the time I went inside at 10:22, I had counted 2,339 Jays.  Breaking
the count down to hours after sunrise, I had:

401 Blue Jays in the first hour (6:52 to 7:52)
214 the second hour (7:52 to 8:52)
1407 the third hour (8:52 to 9:52)
317 in the next half hour, ending at 10:22.

I should note that the fog bank was busy expanding itself during the second
hour and I am assuming the low Blue Jay total during this time was a direct
result.

Here is a list of other birds that appeared to be migrating this morning:

Black-capped Chickadee - 23
White-breasted Nuthatch - 8
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 10
Northern Flicker - 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 2
Scarlet Tanager - 2
Cedar Waxwing - 18
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 1
American Robin - 5
Blackburnian Warbler - 1
Tennessee Warbler - 1
Magnolia Warbler - 1
Turkey Vulture - 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 3

Monarch - 7

A few other notable birds from this morning:

1 local juvenile Bald Eagle that was flying very low up the road from Oneida
Lake, but made a quick U-turn when I believe it saw me standing in my driveway
1 Common Raven
2 Merlin - I believe this is the pair that nested across the street from my
house.  I hadn't seen them since the end of July, and I thought they had moved
on. They were both calling and chasing each other around.  If it wasn't
September, I would think that they were getting ready to breed again.

Mickey Scilingo
Constantia, Oswego County
mickey.scili...@gte.net
315-679-6299