Prompted by a note to this list on 9/23, from Shaibal Mitra, who was responding
to my report for Central Park of 9/22. (see below for all of his, & the
relevant portion of my, NYS Birds posts.) Dr. Mitra made note of 2 photographed
late-September records of Hermit Thrush in NYC parks (Prospect, & Central) - &
then there are also a small spate of eBird records for Prospect Park (Brooklyn
/ Kings Co., NY)  from at least 20 years ago & rather more recently, in late
Sept., of which all are sightings by very careful and experienced observers.
Those sightings span at least from the years 1998-2010, and dates range from
Sept. 10th (by a very sharp observer) to mostly in the Sept. 24th-29th date
range. They are however, not photo-documented, as Dr. Mitra was noting. (I had
replied with a personal response but without the accompanying info. or
references herein.)  This is just a “sample” of various reports and it may not
represent all of this sort. I also made notes on some sightings (see below)
herein which are much farther from our state. These other-region sightings may
not necessarlly imply some phenological situation related to this region, but
it is possible there is some relationship.

I’ve found a few of my own records of Hermit Thrush (but w/o photos) for (some
of my) first-of-fall sightings at Central Park, they include singles on Sept.
30, 2000, and on Sept. 26, 2001. (I’ve not progressed thru my own records for
all years since, & nor some prior, for possible Sept. dates).   There are eBird
sightings listed for Central Park in the month of Sept., some reported by a
number of very experienced observers, with dates esp. concentrated in the last
week & particularly last few days of the month, over a span of some recent
years, in the past decade. Among these, surprisingly few have much notation,
but some do, including the attempt to rule out other species by plumage, and
for a few, by behavior (ex: tail seen being cocked up, then dropping).

Of scattered, cross-continental eBird-ed reports - with good photos - for
Hermit Thrush at early or at least early-ish dates, this month (and in this
year), there are at least a few, including 1 at Times Beach Nature Reserve,
Erie Co. NY on Sept. 4th (seems quite early, although perhaps not so much for
the location?);  1 in downtown Cleveland, Ohio on Sept. 18th; & 1 or poss. 2 at
Lincoln Park in downtown Chicago on Sept. 22nd;  there may be at least a few
more, again: these few are those from just this current year & month that
include diagnostic photos. These may or may not represent unusually-early
records for the regions they’ll be representing - and as there are seemingly
very few, it’s not clear they’re records representative of any wide-scale
pattern.

Then there are far more Sept. reports without photos, also many with no comment
to this species, such as 1 for Kingston Point park on 9/23/18 (where Hermit
Thrush is not nesting in the park, although certainly in the county, this park
on the Hudson river next to downtown) in Kingston, Ulster Co., NY;  1 for
Sherwood Island S.P. in Fairfield Co., CT on 9/13 & 9/15/18 (a coastal-strip
park next to Long Island Sound, very good for migrants, and which does not have
breeding Hermit Thrush; n.b.- I know the observer, a careful & experienced
birder).

Additional others in northern states (and not immediately adjacent or in the
species breeding area, as of course Manhattan is not), as well as a few reports
recently in the southern U.S. that may not have included photos, are outside
the species breeding range. Comments to some of these were added, such as
“somewhat early”. Much farther west, not that relevant perhaps, but easily a
month earlier than expected for the specific, regularly-birded location were 2
reports (one w/photo) from the Desert Botanical Garden, outside Tucson, AZ (an
oasis habitat that can attract various migrants), on Sept. 9 & 11 (2 obs. &
reports) and still farther west, 1 at Agua Dulce creek in the Laguna Mts., San
Diego, CA, on Sept. 19 [1 report but w/ 7 obs. & good photos, “very early”].
This is a small sample, and covers regions that may have somewhat different
phenologies; however these do represent earlier-than-expected arrivals.

I’ve been to most of the above-noted places, although at various seasons, &
birded with (at varying dates, not at the time of these Hermit Thrush reports
specifically) many of the observers of the NYC sightings noted above. There are
a number of additional Sept. reports, but again, those that include photos or
detailed notes are far fewer - again, this is now solely referring to September
sightings of Hermit Thrush, and my minor ‘research' of this was concerned -as
far as I know of- birds that were not seen within a known breeding location -
even if as potential migrant[s], within the latter sort of a location. (i.e.,
only sightings from non-breeding locations, for these Hermit Thrush records.)
It might also be interesting to try & locate banding-records for the species,
in the month of Sept., something I’ve not attempted to do.

For a widespread and cross-continental breeder, which also can overwinter in
many rather northern areas (for ex., the species is f. common in winter in
south-coastal NJ, & not rare in the NYC counties in winter, as well as hardy
enough to overwinter in parts of New England, with perhaps mixed success), this
is a tough bird to place into just one sort of category - the more so when the
multiple forms are taken into account, although I am not aware if there are NY
state records of more than 1 'subspecies-taxa' of Hermit Thrush. (Some among
the western forms can be quite distinctive to our northeastern breeding form.)

The species had been a scarce breeder on Long Island - I don’t know from my own
experience if that is still the case now (?) That however would not correlate
to a migrant appearing in a city park.

Finally, if hardly a final word on this it is obvious that one way [as Dr.
Mitra gently hinted] to be more certain of records of (really any species of)
Catharus thrushes, particularly in migration, is to attempt photos &/or video
&/or audio recordings, as well as making a few notes, esp. if the sighting[s]
seem on the odd-date, odd-location, or high number of individuals sort[s] of
sighting[s].

Tom Fiore,
manhattan
NYSBirds-L@cornell.edu