Pat & all,

Thanks to Andrea Patterson & you for passing along the trove of BBBO banding
data. While this establishes a lot of recent-era September records for Hermit
Thrush at Braddock Bay, on Lake Ontario, it may or may not reflect closely on
the apparent paucity of Sept. records of the species in far-southeast NY, esp.
in N.Y. City & the 2 Long Island counties.   Also, I wonder how distant to
Braddock Bay the nearest regular breeding areas for Hermit Thrush are. I also
wonder how well the breeding areas of the species are faring that have been and
may still be within under 100 miles of N.Y. City, particularly in northerly
directions from it.

It’s possible, in looking at these more defintive banding records, the timing
on migrants that would continue south from the shores of Lake Ontario on to the
latitude of SE NYS could still be for arrival in the latter (SE) region into
early Oct. or after, more consistent or closer to expected first-arrival dates.
We have any number of Sept. reports in eBird & other media, but again, mainly
for the last week of Sept., & not that many with notes on the species, and just
the barest few including photographs for the Sept. reporting.

N.B., I lightly edited the email with the below banding info, and to the Sept.
records of 2011-2017 that were provided.

best,

Tom Fiore
manhattan
_______________
> On Sep 26, 2018, at 9:38 PM, Pat Martin emartin139 -AT- earthlink.net
> <http://earthlink.net/> wrote:
>
> Hi Tom and all,
>
> Below see some records for fall-banded Hermit Thrush at Braddock Bay Bird
> Observatory in Monroe County.
>
> Pat Martin
- - - - - - - -
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 8:51 PM, Pat Martin emartin139 -AT- earthlink.net
> <http://earthlink.net/> wrote:
> Andrea,
>
> Thought you might be interested in the ramblings below about September
> sightings of Hermit Thrushes, considered early. Most of the ebird records do
> not include photos. By any chance have you banded any this fall or have you
> in previous falls?
>
> Pat

                [edit: snip]
> Cheers,
> Andrea-- Andrea Patterson Education Director, Braddock Bay Bird Observatory
[N.B. - Pat Martin had tried sending the new above info, along with below prior
posts in slightly lengthier form to this list but this had not come thru.]