Tripper Paul, Josh Malbin and I were all independently scouring the lake
edge in Prospect Park following up on an eBird report of a juvenile Sora
with limited details.
At roughly 5:40pm in fading light a juvenile Purple Gallinule appeared at
the end of the peninsula near the rustic shelter there. It was busy working
the shoreline in some thick vegetation eating small snails, much like the
last PUGA that showed up in Prospect in October of 2004. I could only stay
with it for minutes. Hopefully other birders who arrived were able to get
images. I have some poor quality video showing clean white undertail
coverts and brownish bird with purple sheen I will try to put into the
checklist.

Word of caution to those considering driving to Brooklyn tomorrow. There is
a half marathon happening in Brooklyn so there will be many road closures
around the park and transportation may be difficult.

Good birding,

Sean Sime
Brooklyn, NY