It appears this email may not have gone through. Apologies if it is duplicated.

-------- Begin forwarded message --------
Subject: FW: [nysbirds-l] Scissor-tail Flycatcher, Montauk, Suffolk Co.
Date: 10/20/18 10:05:51 PM
From: "Shaibal Mitra" <shaibal.mi...@csi.cuny.edu>
To: "Patricia Lindsay (pjlind...@optonline.net)" <pjlind...@optonline.net>

From: Shaibal Mitra
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2018 9:24 PM
To: nysbirds-l@cornell.edu

The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher remained in the fields south of Montauk Highway for several hours, where it was admired by several shifts of birders. It was generally quite cooperative, feeding actively and perching on the fencelines, but occasionally it would retreat into the trees along the east side of the hollow for five or ten minutes, where it was generally not possible to see (eagle-eyed Pat was able to discern it in this context a couple of times, on different perches). It was still behaving this way when Pat and I returned from the point at 3:30. About fifteen minutes later, however, it moved north to the trees at the northeast corner of the field, paused briefly, then flew high and north across the road. Those of us who were present were able to re-find it across the road, perching on a snag in the south pasture of the Dude Ranch, but it remained there only briefly. Before 4:00, it flew high and out of sight over the hill to the north, perhaps landing in one of the more northerly pastures of the Dude Ranch. We scanned what we could see from the County Park overlooking Deep Hollow, but the northern portion of that property is being used for pasturing horses, so we couldn't walk north far enough to look into the more remote pastures.

There was a lot of bird activity in Montauk, from passerine migrants to seabirds. Several hundred Cory's Shearwaters were feeding off the point and in the Sound north and west to at least the Lake Montauk Inlet, and we saw four Parasitic Jaegers.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore