The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher remained in the fields south of Montauk Highway
for several hours, where it was admired by several shifts of birders. It was
generally quite cooperative, feeding actively and perching on the fencelines,
but occasionally it would retreat into the trees along the east side of the
hollow for five or ten minutes, where it was generally not possible to see
(eagle-eyed Pat was able to discern it in this context a couple of times, on
different perches). It was still behaving this way when Pat and I returned from
the point at 3:30. About fifteen minutes later, however, it moved north to the
trees at the northeast corner of the field, paused briefly, then flew high and
north across the road. Those of us who were present were able to re-find it
across the road, perching on a snag in the south pasture of the Dude Ranch, but
it remained there only briefly. Before 4:00, it flew high and out of sight over
the hill to the north, perhaps landing in one of the more northerly pastures of
the Dude Ranch. We scanned what we could see from the County Park overlooking
Deep Hollow, but the northern portion of that property is being used for
pasturing horses, so we couldn't walk north far enough to look into the more
remote pastures.

There was a lot of bird activity in Montauk, from passerine migrants to
seabirds. Several hundred Cory's Shearwaters were feeding off the point and in
the Sound north and west to at least the Lake Montauk Inlet, and we saw four
Parasitic Jaegers.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore