Birding conditions were difficult on the extreme east end of Long Island
with high winds and heavy rain for much of the day (27 Oct 2018). In
general it was difficult to look at the sea because of the amounts of water
in the air and pounding surf. Visiting a number of spots between Watermill
and Montauk I tallied a total of 24 Lesser Blacked Gulls, a 1st winter
Black-headed Gull (Sagg Mains), one very late Black Tern (Gin Beach), a
Hudsonian Godwit (Horsemill Lane Mecox), 9 Pectoral Sandpipers, 6
White-rumped Sandpiper, and 4 Red Knot. Supporting cast included lots of
Northern Gannets, a few Cory's Shearwaters and a single Parasitic Jaeger.
Surprisingly given other reports I only encountered a single Bonaparte's
Gull. Aside from the gulls and shorebirds there seemed to be lots of
Green-winged Teal on the move, predominantly traveling west to east.

--
Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA