I spent this Sunday with friends going along the shores of the Hudson River
between Bear Mountain and Anthony’s Nose.  The series of cold snaps have
brought a caravan of ice floes gently traveling down the Hudson River and back
up with the tides.  The number of Bald Eagles around Iona Island keeps
increasing every year and have brought crowds of curious onlookers.  The eagles
swoop down scattering the Common Mergansers and dot the ice like sentries on
slow trains.  Mine Dock Park is a quiet picnic area at the base of Fort
Montgomery in the shadow of the Bear Mountain Bridge where the ice packs into a
narrows.  We were incredibly close to two eagles perched at either end of a
floe, glancing around trying to look majestically serious but coming off as two
tuxedoed gentlemen on a merry-go-round.

Stay warm,
Alan Drogin