I did my now annual winter raptor survey of the Black Dirt region and
Wallkill NWR. About 80 raptors of 10 species were recorded, headlined by 10
Rough-legged Hawks. Not a big influx, but there have been worse years. These
were widely scattered, with 3 off Pumpkin Swamp Road, 2 off Mission Land
Road, and one each along Maple Ave., Indiana Rd., Skinners Lane, Oil City
Rd., and Owens Station Rd. 3 Merlins were more than expected. Red-tailed
Hawk numbers were good. I can't say that I saw any unusual looking ones, but
very few were flying or sitting on power lines, where the best looks would
be afforded. With that comes few photo ops. But there was a juvenile
Red-tailed drinking from a puddle on Onion Ave. and a Turkey Vulture feeding
on a presumably road-killed Opossum alongside Celery Ave.

There were some large sparrows flocks around. Along Jessups Switch Lane,
Skinners Lane, and 2 places on / off Indiana Road, mixed flocks each
contained 10-15 White-crowned. And a Common Redpoll was reported on Indiana.
Also, a coyote seen from Skinners Lane.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY