The Queens County Bird Club will be meeting at the Alley Pond Environmental
Center, 228-06 Northern Blvd Douglaston, NY 11362   >Map of location<  at 8:00
pm this Wednesday, February 20, 2019. Free admission.  Refreshments served.

Kaitlyn Parkins will present “Nocturnal Neighbors:  The Bats of New York City”
     Bats, one of the largest mammal groups, play a vital role in our
ecosystem, even in New York City. Kaitlyn Parkins, a conservation biologist for
New York City Audubon, will discuss the secret lives of the bats that live in
and migrate through the city—who is here, what they are doing, and where to
find them. She will present findings from over five years of research,
including how bats use green roofs as foraging habitat. She will also discuss
the threats to our bat populations and some of the work being done to mitigate
these threats.
     Parkins studied at Fordham University, receiving a master’s degree in
ecology and a graduate certificate in conservation biology. Her other field
work includes monitoring bird-building collisions in the city and studying
beach-nesting shorebirds and colonial waterbirds in the NY Harbor.

Hope to see you Wednesday!

Nancy Tognan
nancy.tog...@gmail.com <mailto:nancy.tog...@gmail.com>
Vice President, Queens County Bird Club

 See http://www.qcbirdclub.org <http://www.qcbirdclub.org/> for more
information on trips, speakers, and other events.

See our 'Birding Maps & Locations' page for directions to and info about many
local birding hotspots

* QCBC is a tax exempt, charitable organization {501c3}.  *