Monday night, at dusk (between 7 & 7:15) after helping at the
Congregationalist Church's Soup Kitchen, I drove past the Roanoke Ave
Elementary School ( the "Hub" of the R/V/R) only to find no vultures on the
school's chimney, or in the immediate vicinity. I then headed toward the
Riverhead Library, a few blocks away, which took me bye one of the R/V/R's
"spokes" - a stand of spruces located on the w/s of Griffing Ave, between
the 1st & 2nd houses s/o of Lincoln Ave.
 Upon seeing some dark "shadows" moving around, I moved out of the car and
started to count. While I'm not sure of the exact number of T.V's. (45 to
50) I am sure of at least 1 Black Vulture. Trying to get a full count
(lighting was tough) I noticed a T.V., with his back toward me, hunching
over on a paved driveway under the spruces...along with a black cat
creeping up on it for an attack. When it finally sprang, the bird was able
to make a successful getaway ! After the cat came back into view, it
started to sniff the driveway something fierce, making me curious as to
what odor had its attention...was it from the bird itself, or the smell of
carrion ? If it was the latter, I guess the bird took the food in its beak
as it flew up into the tree, because there wasn't anything visible on the
driveway. Shortly afterward, many of the vultures lifted off, heading
toward Roanoke Ave, with about 1/3 of them returning in just a few minutes.
It was during this time that I was able to firm up the ~ total, along with
seeing the Black Vulture.

Cheers,
Bob