My yard in Hauppauge, within earshot (literally) of the Long Island
Expressway, doesn't exactly overflow with neotropical migrants in the
spring. However, the budding oak trees in the neighborhood do regularly
attract such common species as Northern Parula, Myrtle, and the occasional
Black-throated Green Warbler. This evening has been typical with one or two
Parulas singing along with a Myrtle.

Around 7:15, while finishing some yard work, I decided to put the glass on
the singing Parula one last time before I went inside. I found it quickly
and then saw movement in the same tree of an obviously larger warbler. It
turned out, bizarrely, to be a Yellow-throated Warbler. I spent 20 minutes
with it and was able to get all the obvious field marks of this species:
brilliant yellow throat, heavy black sideburns, white spot behind the
sideburns, white eyeline, white wingbars, blue-gray uppers, and large/long
bill. Other than the mall, I can't think of a more unlikely place to see
this species on Long Island. It pays to take one last look before you go
inside!!!

Cheers,

Glenn