Thank you to those who have shown an interest and offered suggestions and
support for the East Pond management.

Angus, your thoughts echo some of what I had submitted in my comments on the
GNRA General Management Plan a few years ago. As I suggested  before, it may be
time to have that discussion with NPS for a comprehensive plan to address the
drainage issues and also to review the health of the Pond.

I recall a few seasons ago NPS Biologist George Frame and someone (his name I
noted in one of my field notebooks) were doing some mud sampling of the Pond. I
had asked to be included in the findings but do not recall ever receiving any
reports.

Last night, I sent off an e-mail to George asking for the data and l have also
reached out to other NPS sources for assistance.

Bob, there is no doubt that the shorebirds are not sticking to the Pond as
before. Whether it is due to the health of the Pond or that better feeding
areas have become available is anyone’s guess at this point.

I will share whatever I learn with the community as information becomes
available and continue to do what I can in getting some much needed attention
for a long term solution. It is no longer acceptable to scramble every season
to get the water level right. Whatever the drainage problems are we need a fix
not a patch.