I stopped off at Cathedral Pines CP (Suffolk) today if only for the purpose of
eating my lunch in the car under some shade. Other than a calling Catbird, I
observed no other birds.However, there was a huge swarm, hundreds and hundreds,
perhaps 1000, of cicada killer wasps in the first parking lot (mountain bike
trail entrance).They were all hovering a few inches above the dirt, sometimes
briefly landing. I'm not an insect expert, so I don't know if it's unusual or
not. The most I've ever seen is exactly 1.Several mountain bikers who showed up
looked very unsure on whether to even get out of the car. Just thought this
would be interesting to all the subscribers.
Glenn QuinnHauppauge, NY