In case helpful to pass along, this week's planned mowing of the Croton
Point Park capped landfill grasslands is part of a two-year restoration
plan designed by Larry Weaner Landscape Associates. (Vegetation has not
been removed from the site.)

*Quick overview of project* (from local media story last spring before
project start)
https://patch.com/new-york/ossining/croton-point-grasslands-restoration-project-timeline-talk

*Further details from Westchester County Soil & Water Conservation
District's 2019 Work Plan*
*Croton Point Park Grassland Restoration Project: The restoration of nearly
100 acres of grassland covering the former Croton Landfill at Croton Point
Park in Croton-on-Hudson was designed in late 2018. Construction will begin
in 2019.The grassland, or meadow, is currently characterized as a mosaic of
plant populations and communities with most dominated by ecologically
undesirable vegetation, such as non-native cool season grasses and invasive
and non-native mugwort. The goal is to transform the meadow into an
ecologically diverse community of plants, which will encourage overall
biological diversity, especially of beneficial insects and birds.The
restoration of each patch of vegetation will have to be handled differently
in order to achieve the best overall results. For example, some patches
will need to be frequently mowed on a temporary basis while others will
need to be treated with herbicide to eradicate dominant plants. Most
patches will need to be re-seeded with mixes of desirable grasses and
forbs. The grassland is viewed by naturalists as critically important to
many species of birds using the Atlantic Flyway, the migratory route for
birds traveling up and down the East Coast. Many other birds, including the
bald eagle, also use Croton Point Park, the largest peninsula in the Hudson
River. The project is funded by a $500,000 state grant to the
District,which will be used for construction. The District is using
additional state funding and other revenue to finance project planning,
design and construction management.A Planning Department staff person will
manage the project on behalf of the District and Westchester County*

Anne Swaim
Saw Mill River Audubon
www.sawmillriveraudubon.org