I am greatly saddened to learn of Rich Kelly’s passing. If anyone knows
anything about funeral arrangements, please do share.

Rich was a brilliant naturalist. He was a genuine man with no pretentiousness
and I enjoyed the time spent with him in the field due to his brilliance and
sarcastic sense of humor.

Some of my fondest memories of him include working together as a team on the
2016 Jamaica Bay Bio Blitz and our encounters during meetings of the NYC
Butterfly Club. The atmosphere there was like episodes out of Seinfeld and
there was never a night where I did not laugh. Many times due to interactions
between Rich, Steve Walter and Guy Tudor.

I last saw Rich during the 2018 Southern Nassau CBC as I gave him my numbers
for the areas covered while getting him on a Lapland Longspur at Nickerson
Beach. He was quite happy at seeing that bird and he looked good then but you
never know with cancer. Rich is a huge loss for our community. This was not
easy to write. I will miss him.

With deepest sorrow and condolences to all of his friends and family.