Now for a happier post. For the first time in years, I tried hawk watching
at Fort Tilden in early September. It was a bit different than back in the
day. The highlight was a surprisingly good flight of Ospreys for what I
consider still an early date - 102 counted, until I had to leave at 2 P.M.
It used to be that Kestrels were relied on for anything resembling a decent
flight this early. But only 3 of them among the 9 non-Osprey raptors. Why so
many Ospreys so soon (246 at Cape May)? I hope it's because there are more
of them. Whatever the reason, it makes me think about the contributions to
our database that could be made by more frequent coverage at Fort Tilden (at
least on northerly winds). If anyone is interested in watching for hawks
there, please contact me.

And there's more than hawks to be seen. Copying and pasting below my notes
entered at hawkcount.org .

Fair numbers of Tree Swallow, still some Barn Swallows, and even 1 Cliff
Swallow. Fair numbers of Chimney Swift and Cedar Waxwing on the move. Also
seen were 2 Semipalmated Plovers, 3 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, 2 Eastern
Kingbirds, and a flock of about 20 Bobolink. A couple of Royal Terns over
the ocean. Developing Dragonfly flight: species noted in order of abundance:
Green Darner, Wandering Glider, Black Saddlebags, Spot-winged Glider,
Carolina Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer, Swamp Darner, Blue Dasher. Lots
of butterfly activity. Red Admiral and at least on Question Mark migrating
south, 3 Cloudless Sulphurs emigrating north. Few Monarchs at this point.
Lots of Buckeyes around.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY