Hi Robert,

This is my e-bird report from yesterday. The place is called “Pine Island Turf
Nursery and it is a commercial sod farm (and other crops too). Generally, they
leave birders enter the farm during the weekends and when they are not actively
working on the fields. If they have the “were are open” sign on display, please
go into the office and ask for permission to enter the farm. The Sandhill
cranes come to this site very often (they fly from the Wallkill River Wildlife
Refuge to this place that is about one or 2 miles away from the refuge).
Yesterday, in addition to the SandHill cranes, I saw two American Golden
Plovers too.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59622495

All the sod farms and agricultural fields in Pine Island are good places to
find shorebirds during the fall migration. You have Skinner’s lane (e-bird
hotspot) and you have the sod farms near Route 12. You can also contact active
birders who are members of the Mearns Bird Club.

http://mearnsbirdclub.org/

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L682671

Black-bellied and American Golden Plovers have been seen often during the fall
migration (generally, early in the morning). There a couple of reports from the
last 2 weeks or so.

Check the e-bird reports for Orange County, NY.

https://ebird.org/region/US-NY-071?yr=all

Good Luck!

Felipe

On Sep 9, 2019, at 4:09 PM, Robert Lewis