Observers enjoyed another solid day of Caprimulgid viewing with 155 nighthawks
being tallied. Many birds at medium to low elevations; two more tailless birds
were observed.

Relating to this taillessness, the BNA account for this species suggests the
bird undergoes its definitive basic molt, which is a complete molt, on its
wintering grounds. This would indicate no molting during migration; thus our
observations of several tailless birds suggests some other reason for the loss
of all the tail feathers, such as attempted predation, or that the account is
wrong, at least as it relates to the remiges.

Anyone with more information or has thoughts about the tailless birds we're
seeing can reach me off-line at redk...@optonline.net
mailto:redk...@optonline.net

John Turner