I've posted a couple of pictures at my web site
http://stevewalternature.com/ . Not being on top of Golden-crowned Sparrow
plumages, I assumed while I was there that it's a first winter (immature)
bird. It is what you expect in these situations. Now having had a chance to
look at references and pictures, I'm not so sure about that. This bird seems
brighter on the crown and above the eye than many immatures. which are often
rather plain faced with limited yellow. But it is noted that there's enough
variability in adults and immatures that they can't always be aged. This
individual looks very similar to the one in figure 48.3 in "Sparrows . The
Photographic Guide", which is left undetermined to age.  You can look it up
for yourself, if you care about that sort of thing.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY