From: bounce-124141213-11143...@list.cornell.edu
[bounce-124141213-11143...@list.cornell.edu] on behalf of Steve Walter
[swalte...@verizon.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:11 PM
To: NYSBIRDS
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Golden-crowned Sparrow Pics and Age

I’ve posted a couple of pictures at my web site http://stevewalternature.com/ .
Not being on top of Golden-crowned Sparrow plumages, I assumed while I was
there that it’s a first winter (immature) bird. It is what you expect in these
situations. Now having had a chance to look at references and pictures, I’m not
so sure about that. This bird seems brighter on the crown and above the eye
than many immatures. which are often rather plain faced with limited yellow.
But it is noted that there’s enough variability in adults and immatures that
they can’t always be aged. This individual looks very similar to the one in
figure 48.3 in “Sparrows … The Photographic Guide”, which is left undetermined
to age.  You can look it up for yourself, if you care about that sort of thing.

Steve Walter
Bayside, NY
Subscribe, Configuration and
Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>