Sorry to detract from the normally excellent bird information on this list
but, unfortunately, I have become compelled to share a recent situation
that happened at my house.  Over the past weekend a group of birders found
their way to the back of my property.  I awoke with my wife and children to
begin our day.   I looked into my backyard and found people with scopes and
binoculars peering over my back fence towards my house and windows.  My
family and I feel violated.

My children and wife should not have to worry about people with optics
looking into our backyard and windows.  I came to find out that my neighbor
used ebird (for their first time ever) to report a bird and they did not
disclose their address on ebird with their observation.   We have
speculated that these really hard core expert bird watchers must have done
a "google" search on the name to locate the address and then trampled
around the adjacent public parcel the next morning to locate their quarry.
Why do something like this?  Is it really an enjoyable bird observation?
Will my neighbor ever use ebird again after this first experience?

While I am not sure exactly what transpired, ebird is supposed to be a data
source for science and if I or somebody in my neighborhood submit
observations it is not an invitation to conduct a search and surveillance
on a private residence.  I am appalled that bird watchers would believe
this to be acceptable behavior.

Further, they photographed or digi-scoped portions of my house and posted
it on ebird.  What other photos could they have from that morning?
Probably nothing, but it is not enjoyable to think about the potential.

This is on the verge of criminal behavior in my opinion.  It invades my
family's reasonable expectation of privacy.   These ace birders may need to
be trained on how to use ebird in a mature and science driven manner.  Or
maybe ebird should have obligatory training for its users about who has
access to data that is submitted and what people may potentially / actually
do with it.

Again, sorry to detract from the otherwise good bird info being shared
here.  I  needed to notify the people involved to let them know that their
behavior was intrusive and unwelcome; I was only able to speak to one of
the individuals face to face.  I these people are likely to monitor this
list and get my message given their adept use of the Internet.

Chase Cammarota
Babylon