Join Four Harbors Audubon at our Winter Lecture: Survival By Degrees: 389
Species on the Brink presented by Brooke Bateman, Senior Scientist, Climate,
National Audubon Society.
In October, the National Audubon Society released a report, Survival by
Degrees: 389 Species on the Brink, addressing how climate change will affect
birds and the places they live.  Audubon scientists took advantage of 140
million observations, recorded by birders and scientists, to describe where 604
North American bird species live today – an area known as their “range.”  They
then used the latest climate models to project how each species’ range will
shift with climate change.  Additionally, Audubon assessed how nine climate
change-related threats could further put species and places at risk.  The
findings are dire: two-thirds of North American bird species are at risk from
climate change range shifts.  Further, no species will escape from climate
change, with birds also facing multiple coincident threats.  In New York, 116
species are vulnerable to climate change, including charismatic species like
the Scarlet Tanager, Wood Thrush, American Woodcock, Saltmarsh Sparrow, and
Piping Plover.  New York will experience greater extreme heat events, increased
coastal and inland flooding from sea level rise and heavy rainfall, and
disrupted ecosystems.  The good news is that our science also shows that if we
take action now, we can help improve the changes for the majority of species at
risk.  Learn about the science behind the findings and the impact on birds from
Dr. Brooke Bateman, the lead scientist for the report and Stony Brook native.

Dr. Brooke Bateman leads the climate science team at National Audubon,
collaborating with scientists, volunteers, and Audubon’s Climate Initiative
<https://www.audubon.org/conservation/climate-initiative> team to develop
research focused on climate and the conservation of birds and the places they
need today and in the future. In this role she led a team of scientists in
developing the 2019 Birds and Climate change Report. Brooke is also the
Director of Climate Watch <https://www.audubon.org/conservation/climate-watch>,
where she works with community volunteers to understand how climate change
currently affects birds in North America. Her research focus is on spatial
ecology and conservation, emphasizing the effect that extreme weather events
and climate change have on biodiversity. Brooke works closely with
on-the-ground practitioners and stakeholders to link climate research to
on-the-ground conservation and management actions.  Brooke is also a Director
and Board Member of Four Harbors Audubon Society.

The presentation will take place on Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 6:30 pm at
The Bates House, One Bates Road, Setauket, NY  11733.

Free and open to all.  Please RSVP at: fourharborshe...@gmail.com

Patrice Domeischel
Four Harbors Audubon Society