Central Park NYC
Sunday, December 29, 2019
OBS: Robert DeCandido, PhD, Deborah Allen, m.ob.

Highlights: Iceland Gull, Winter Wren, Hermit Thrush, Fox Sparrow, Report of
Red-headed Woodpecker.

Canada Goose - many Reservoir
Northern Shoveler - many Reservoir, a handful on the Lake
Mallard - Reservoir
Hooded Merganser - 5 (3 males, 2 females) seen from south end of Reservoir
Bufflehead - male Reservoir
Ruddy Duck - present on Reservoir
Ring-billed & Herring Gulls - Reservoir (a more even mix of the two species)
Great Black-backed Gull - around 20 Reservoir
Iceland Gull - hatch-year (Deb - early)*
Great Blue Heron - standing on ice near the Boathouse (Liza)
Cooper's Hawk - immature east of Balancing Rock
Red-headed Woodpecker - report of continuing hatch-year bird near West 97th
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 4
Downy Woodpecker - 2 at feeders
Blue Jay - 6
Crow species - 2 silent flyovers
White-breasted Nuthatch - 1 Evodia Field feeders
Brown Creeper - near Boathouse
Winter Wren - Shakespeare Garden
Hermit Thrush - 1 near Boathouse
Northern Mockingbird - near Boathouse
House Finch - a dozen
Fox Sparrow - Swampy Pin Oak (Karen Evans)
White-throated Sparrow - around 400
Northern Cardinal - 8

*I saw and photographed the Iceland Gull at the Reservoir this morning from
8:15 to 9am. It was observed later in the morning by others and our group. I
have been checking this list, twitter, and ebird and have not been able to
unearth any prior reports from this November or December for Iceland Gull in
Central Park.

Deb Allen
Follow us on twitter