There's lots of knowledge out there about site fidelity among birds - same
individuals returning each spring for nesting, and identifiable individuals
returning to the same wintering grounds.

There are some notable examples, such as an individual of a particularly
rare species that returned each year. From around our area, there are
these: Lesser Black-backed Gull, Iceland Gull, Barrow's Goldeneye, Eared
Grebe, and so on.

Bird banders know that from returning birds banded years earlier.

The reason I bring this up here is that we can anticipate similar visitors.

The Pink-footed Goose comes to mind.

Naomi Lloyd found the one in Columbia County a couple of years ago. Then
one (ok here's the stretch - maybe the same one ! ?) appeared right across
the river in The Greene County last year.

So are there others?

Sure there are...

Do you know of a particular, individually identifiable bird, that has
returned to your yard, patch, beach, park, etc. ?

Let me know by sharing the info - privately for now..

I hope to put together a compilation - with appropriate acknowledgments, in
a upcoming edition of Kingbird, the birding journal of the NYS
Ornithological Association.

Let's keep the page turners at the edge of their seats by sharing your
information to me directly rather than putting it out piecemeal on line.

Of particular interest are also those nesting, slightly out of range, long
distant migrants, such as returning Orchard Oriole, as well as the better
known (or not) examples as mentioned.

Email to: richardpguth...@gmail.com

Fun-on, Folks
--