I have to disagree in the case of wintering geese. I don't keep tabs on
every rare goose that turns up on Long Island. I best remember those on the
western part of the island, especially those that I've photographed. Looking
at my records of photographed rarities (and even Snow Geese in unusual
places), and to the best of my recollection otherwise, I can't find examples
of geese that have returned to the same site in a following winter - but for
one exception. This was the believed to be Brant - Cackling Goose hybrid
that returned to Flushing Meadows for many years. What's more, it appears to
me that geese will relocate during the same winter. Lots of examples of
rarities first appearing at a site in mid-winter, while others disappear.

That said, it should be expected that in highly favored congregation points
- a Belmont Lake for example - more total geese would lead to a greater
chance of a same rare species reoccurrence (which might or might not be the
same individual).

One could also pay attention to banded Canada Geese. I sort of do, but I
don't have well organized records to refer to at the moment.

Steve Walter