Hey all,

One of my favorite, and one of the most generally overlooked relative to
accessibility for birders, winter birding activity in Brooklyn is watching
the gulls come in to roost at Brooklyn Bridge Park. One could (and I
may...) argue that this roost has one of the most awesome backdrops of any
gull roost in the country (with the full acceptance that I don't know the
settings of a good many), with the lower Manhattan skyline, Brooklyn
Bridge, Statue of Liberty, and often-gorgeous sunset. Watching 4,000+ gulls
fly in around dusk in this setting is a one-of-a-kind juxtaposition, and
one I never tire of (despite how numb my fingers may get in the cold on
some evenings).

I took the Painted Bunting that Heather Wolf found recently at the park as
an incentive to get to the gull roost a bit earlier than usual on Thursday,
and after seeing the greenie (as well as the Field Sparrows and a pile of
White-throated Sparrows- the habitat at the park is really getting better
by all the time!), turned my attention to the gulls. While I didn't find
any unusual species amid the ~4,000 Ring-billed Gulls roosting in the
marina between Piers 3 & 5, a couple of different visits to the pilings
just west of Pier 1 turned up first an adult BLACK-HEADED GULL, and then
later, when it was positively nighttime, a juvenile ICELAND GULL. One of
the great things about this roost is that you can continue to observe and
scrutinize the birds well past dusk--while the light does get progressively
worse past dusk, it never gets un-birdable. It's a very fun experience that
I recommend for those who haven't seen it. If you find yourself chasing the
Painted Bunting in the afternoon this winter, stick around to dusk and
watch the gulls stream in!

On a different note, after twitching the HARLEQUIN DUCK found in Sheepshead
Bay by Daisy Lane Paul this morning, I hung around for a while (in another
oft-overlooked place, given how many birds concentrate here in winter), and
a very crisp-looking, and cooperative, juvenile ICELAND GULL appeared, and
delighted the folks who were still lingering and those arriving to see the
duck.
As for said duck: Despite being an annual winter visitor to various jetties
and breakwaters of the southern shore of Long Island, it is very rarely
observed in Brooklyn. This is only the 4th record in the county in the last
20+ years, as far as I am aware.

eBird checklist with a couple of context photos of the BBP gull roost:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S62934732

eBird list from Daisy's duck at Sheepshead today:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S63051166

Good Urban Birding!
-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.