Yesterday found me in the city running errands and I dropped into Bryant Park
because why not and I just so happened (ahem) to have my bins with me.

I happened upon another birder, Maha Katnani, and together we birdied the park.
The highlights included: a couple of Catharus’; one was a slam dunk Hermit
Thrush. My first impression in the field of the other Catharus was of a VEERY.
However, I talked myself out of the ID and considered other possibilities.
After reviewing the photos Maha took and soliciting input from others, I am
satisfied with my initial assessment. Peter Pyle, who is always clutch has aged
it as a 1st year bird.

The Other Bryant Park notables were a female COMMON YELLOWTHROAT and Maha
re-found the continuing American Woodcock.

Today, I decide to get in on the Brooklyn Gull frolic at Brooklyn Bridge Park
that Doug Gochfled so eloquently described and I was not disappointed.

After getting a quick but long enough views for digiscoped photos of the
continuing PAINTED BUNTING, I turned my attention to Gull vigil, spending most
of my time near the pilings just west of Pier 1.

It was slow in the beginning. Luckily, I was entertained for a while by an
adult BONAPARTE’s GULL. Shortly after, I picked up the adult BLACK-HEADED GULL.
Later, as I spoke with others about possibly also seeing Doug’s ICELAND GULL, I
picked one out - a juvenile in the back of the Gull flock in the fading light.
It was a lot of fun and I wished I had more time for the Ring-billed Gulls but
that is play for another day.