As I have been known to do, I am about to dig myself a hole here. This is an
interesting discussion.  My only caution is that we must all recognize ebird,
as well as the CBC's, and similar efforts, for what they are: lightly vetted
databases that are useful to academic researchers mainly due to their sheer
volume, which tend to mask many of the errors that inevitably creep into the
data.  This is the definition of Citizen Science.  Ebird isn't Science, or
Nature, or any of the many highly peer-reviewed journals (and even they retract
research papers on occasion), and will never be.  let's all beware of the
dangers of driving citizen scientists away from this great endeavor.

Bob Grover
West Islip

Per Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other Nondiscrimination
statutes, Greenman-Pedersen, Inc. and its related companies will not
discriminate on the grounds of race, color or national origin in the selection
and retention of subconsultants, including procurement of materials and leases
of equipment. Greenman-Pedersen, Inc. and its related companies will ensure
that minorities will be afforded full opportunity to submit proposals and will
not be discriminated against in consideration for an award. This communication
and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual or entity
named as the addressee. It may contain information which is privileged and/or
confidential under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or
such recipient's employee or agent, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited
and to notify the sender immediately.