Doug's message is important and deserves careful attention from all
contributors to citizen science. People should take care to be objective,
accurate, and interpretable in their conclusions.

But I would also stress that this shouldn't mean giving up and omitting
analysis altogether when, as is usually true, one doesn't feel 100%
authoritative and certain. For instance, instead of checking boxes in the age
and sex drop-down tables, or typing unqualified terms like "female" or
"immature male" in the species comments, make an effort to describe the actual
features you observed and to explain how you are interpreting them. This way a
future user--or your future self--will be able to understand both what you
actually saw and what you thought about it. This is what I mean by striving for
interpretability in one's comments. Many new discoveries in the frontiers of
identification have been achieved by the patient application of this method. In
contrast, simply clicking a box in what amounts to a guess has almost zero
value and can even confuse matters.

On a similar topic, I'm concerned about many of the breeding bird atlas codes
I'm seeing in eBird checklists. Being asked 20 or 30 times per checklist to
"Choose the highest code..." is appealing and addictive to many of us, but,
like the age and sex tables, this kind of game-ification is destructive to
understanding. Just as in assessing age and sex, assigning breeding codes
depends on prior knowledge and accurate judgement. Common Goldeneyes perform
courtship displays on Long Island in winter; Herring Gulls copulate miles away
from their actual breeding sites; White-throated Sparrows sing day after day on
their wintering grounds; etc. A bird is either going to breed in a given block
or it isn't. If you have good reason to know that it will NOT, it is best to
refrain from assigning any breeding code, even if the wording of the codes
seems to allow for it.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore