Given that a couple of people responded to last night's post, asking me about
the enigma of westward flights of birds in spring on Long Island, I thought I'd
share this with the list. It's not an exaggeration to say that this very
question changed my life!

I came to Long Island in April 1996 as a post-doc to run the bird-banding
component of a study of Lyme Disease at Fire Island Lighthouse. In those first
weeks, I was amazed to find the warblers and tanagers hitting my nets from east
to west. Paul Buckley said "of course"--he'd been seeing this for almost 50
years at that time. And it wasn't a complete shock to me, either. As a native
Rhode Islander, I'd learned to appreciate that fall migrants that wind up on
Block Island overnight funnel back to the north over the course of the morning,
to jump back to the mainland before resuming their southward course.

Regarding yesterday's kinglets, the idea is, if conditions aren't perfect
(southerly winds all the way), the nocturnal migrants that make it ashore on
spring nights land on the beach and are dis-inclined to cross the huge bay to
the north. They stream westward in a still not completely understood way until
they regain the LI mainland, where they rest, feed, etc., before undertaking
the next big nocturnal leap to the north. It's a re-orientation movement to get
them into decent habitat sooner rather than later.

The recently described westward flights of Gannets in the Sound and on the
ocean are something different. When purposefully migrating, Gannets go west to
east in spring and east to west in fall--just as you would suppose. But in
spring especially, they are tracking menhaden and other migratory fish, and
they  seek them in unexpected places, like the Sound and even in the shallow
bays, at times. These movements are purely facultative, tracking food. Another
dimension to understand about foraging seabirds is that they tend to get
drifted by the wind and/or tide, so there is often a "correction flight" where
it looks like they are moving in a specific direction, but what they are really
doing is flying to regain their preferred feeding position after being drifted.

All the best,
Shai