Central Park NYC
Friday May 8, 2020
OBS: Robert DeCandido, PhD, David Barrett, Tom Ahlf, Deborah Allen

Highlights:  Nice variety of Warblers and other Migrants including a very late Fox Sparrow, as well as Cape May, Blue-winged, Bay-breasted, Hooded, Nashville, Prairie, and Chestnut-sided Warblers. A Kentucky Warbler was reported and photographed at the Loch, The first report on the bird, a male, came from Stephen Chang.

Canada Goose - Great Lawn
Wood Duck - flyover
Mallard
Mourning Dove - 5 to 10
Chimney Swift - 20-30 over Summit Rock
Spotted Sandpiper - Turtle Pond
Herring Gull - a few flyovers
Double-crested Cormorant - flyover
Great Egret - flyover
Green Heron - Turtle Pond (pointed out to us by Alice Deutsch)
Osprey - flyover
Red-tailed Hawk - 2 circling over Oven
Red-bellied Woodpecker - Oven
Downy Woodpecker - pair Gill Overlook
Northern Flicker - Summit Rock
Great Crested Flycatcher - Shakespeare Garden
Eastern Kingbird - pair Turtle Pond
Least Flycatcher - Turtle Pond
Yellow-throated Vireo - reported at the Weather Station at 6:30am by Roger Pasquier
Blue-headed Vireo - 7
Warbling Vireo - 3
Red-eyed Vireo - King of Poland
Blue Jay - 5
Crow - silent flyover Summit Rock
White-breasted Nuthatch - 3
House Wren - 2 or 3 (2 singing)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 5-10
Veery - 5
Hermit Thrush - Stone Arch
Wood Thrush - Upper Lobe
American Robin - around 30
Gray Catbird - 5 or 6
House Finch - 3 Balancing Rock/Captain's Bench
American Goldfinch - 2 or 3
Chipping Sparrow - 2 Belvedere Castle Overlook
Fox Sparrow - Source of Gill (VERY LATE)
White-throated Sparrow - 20-30
White-crowned Sparrow - Shakespeare Garden
Eastern Towhee - 3
Orchard Oriole - 4
Baltimore Oriole - 10
Common Grackle - 15
Red-winged Blackbird - 2 singing males at Turtle Pond
Brown-headed Cowbird - 4
Ovenbird - 10
Northern Waterthrush - 2 (turtle Pond & Upper Lobe)
Blue-winged Warbler - female Summit Rock
Black-and-white Warbler - 10-15
Nashville Warbler - 3
Common Yellowthroat - 7 males
Hooded Warbler - Turtle Pond (David Barrett)
American Redstart - 5
Cape May Warbler - 4 (2 of these at Summit Rock thanks to Brad Kane)
Northern Parula - 10
Magnolia Warbler - 2 males south side Turtle Pond
Bay-breasted Warbler - Turtle Pond (David Barrett), another was reported at Summit Rock
Yellow Warbler - 6 (5 males, 1 female)
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 3
Blackpoll Warbler - 2 males Turtle Pond
Black-throated Blue Warbler - 10
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 7-10
Prairie Warbler - 2 (Summit Rock & Sparrow Rock)
Black-throated Green Warbler - 6
Wilson's Warbler - 2 (Turtle Pond & Upper Lobe)
Scarlet Tanager - male (Balancing Rock/Captain's Bench)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - female Gill Overlook
Northern Cardinal - a few singing

Social distancing and face-covering protocols observed. My apologies to anyone who told us about a good bird that I didn't mention. I'm able to i.d. many people with half their face covered, but not everyone.

Follow us on twitter @BirdingBobNYC & @DAllenNYC. Many thanks to David Barrett and his Manhattan Bird Alert @BirdCentralPark, where you can see photos of today's Kentucky Warbler from @jhonny_2003.

Deb Allen