Late this morning I made a stop along the southwest side of “Eastport Meadows”
a large Town of Brookhaven open space parcel south of Sunrise Highway, North of
Montauk Highway. The Eastport Athletic Complex is in the northeast corner for
reference.

In a section of open woods I found a black and white warbler and several
woodpeckers  While bushwhacking through pine scrub forest I stumbled upon an
eastern towhee nest.

The open successional forest held an eastern meadowlark, more towhees and
singing prairie warblers.

I then walked a bit of the dirt road under the LIPA wires and had dozens of
cedar waxwings taking turns drinking from puddles, a screeching red-tailed
hawk, a hummingbird flitting around Oak trees, several blue winged warblers,
yellow warblers and American redstarts.

I’d imagine early morning under the right conditions would yield an even better
array of birds. Ironically, when I got home to my suburban yard my wife called
me over to look at a “red bird with black wings”. It’s the first scarlet
tanager I’ve ever seen after all my years looking.