I've always been impressed and puzzled by the remarkable number of
nighthawks recorded in early fall year from the Setauket Mill Pond area.
Nowhere else on Long Island has numbers anywhere close to this. In fact,
single-digit counts are the norm elsewhere except perhaps a few spots that
are also close to the north shore of the island. I'm curious to know what
aspect of the geography might explain this disparity? I would have guessed
that south-bound migrants are reluctant to cross the full width of the
Sound and perhaps make shorter jumps via Fisher's and Plumb
Islands, mirroring the preference of several hawk species. However, that
would predict large counts on the North Fork, which I'm unaware of.
Alternatively is there something about the ponds and woodland of Setauket
that is uniquely attractive to migrating Nighthawks? If the attraction is
good rooting and feeding prospects, is there evidence that the birds
counted on a particular evening remain in the area a night or two, or do
they inevitably move on? Finally, is there any evidence of significant
numbers on other north-facing extensions into Long Island Sound such a
Eaton's Neck or Caumsett?

Angus Wilson
New York City