The last three days along the Brooklyn and Queens coast have been a great
study in the dynamism that is bird migration in late October.

On Friday morning, I birded an exceedingly foggy Plum Beach in Brooklyn
after a modest night flight overnight (visible on Nexrad radar). The dunes
had a surprising amount of passerines, with Yellow-rumped Warblers
dominating (as seems to always be the case at this date), with several
flocks surreally moving westbound through the dense fog as they searched
for more suitable land. The marsh had its usual excellent array of marsh
sparrows with at least four taxa tallied (*Seaside*, *Saltmarsh*, and
*Nelson’s* (both Interior and Atlantic Coast types). Passerine rarities
that were likely thanks to the weather were a *Dickcissel* feeding in the
marsh as if it were one of the marsh sparrows, and a *GRASSHOPPER SPARROW*
seen nicely (once the fog lifted) in the dunes along with plenty of
Savannahs and Songs. A rare-for-Brooklyn *LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER* appeared
out of the fog with a small flock of Greater Yellowlegs but they continued
on to the west.

I spent the past two mornings at Breezy Point in Queens, to see what the
visible migration situation would be like during these two opposing
wind conditions on back-to-back days. Yesterday, the moderate SW wind
produced a very good waterbird flight of westbound birds over the ocean,
with the highlight species being a group of *3* *HARLEQUIN DUCKS* amidst a
large migrating flock of Black Scoters (of which more than a thousand
passed through the morning).

The passerine flight was also interesting, with double digit numbers of
both Pine and Blackpoll Warblers jumping off into the headwind to migrate
across the bay, a few Cape May Warblers, and an unseen *Lapland Longspur*
flight calling its way through, and over *2,300 Pine Siskins*. The coolest
event (and the one I've seen fewest times) for me, however, was watching a
group of 25 Black-capped Chickadees take flight from the western end of the
dunes and get up high in an abortive attempt to migrate across the bay.
After this, chickadees sporadically flew up into the headwind towards the
jetty before returning to the dunes, but eventually at least four set sail
into the wind and continued over the bay.

Today, after a much more classic big post-cold front nocturnal flight, the
dunes and scrub were pulsating with birds first thing in the morning,
mostly sparrows (White-throated Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos dominating).
Migration was very dispersed and multi-directional due to the easterly
component of the wind (it was Northeast for most of the morning), and many
birds were very high. It was while looking for these high flocks that I
came across what turned out to be a *SANDHILL CRANE* hauling westward very
high up. When it got well out over the mouth of lower New York Bay it
circled for a minute or two and then headed south towards Sandy Hook. This
was interesting timing, because there has been a Great Blue Heron at Breezy
Point for the past two days which has been flying around only with its neck
fully extended, and I had been meditating on how superficially
similar-looking to Sandhill Cranes they can be when doing this. That heron
is likely still around.

As I was returning to the parking lot later on, I encountered a *HENSLOW'S
SPARROW* which flushed out of a patch of bluestem grass and perched in a
Bayberry Bush for a minute or two. After it vanished, I tried to re-find
the bird with another nearby birder for about 40 minutes but we sadly came
up empty despite an intensive effort. There are a lot of dunes for such a
skulky species to disappear into.

Afterwards I swung by Riis Park, where walking various excellent looking
patches of weedy habitat and dune scrub yielded *Marsh Wren *(Neponsit
field)*, Nelson’s Sparrow, Orange-crowned Warbler*, and 3 Eastern
Meadowlarks.

Viva la migración

-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY