Hopefully I'm not embarrassing myself here with a misidentification.
Spotted yesterday, early afternoon at Frank Melville Park, Setauket, by my
daughters Cayla and Iris with what we initially thought was a Common
Goldeneye hen. However, the stubby yellow/orange bill, flattish head, and
steep slope of forehead got me to thinking it might be a Barrow's. I know
bill color isn't definitive here, but the rest of the clues seem to point
to Barrow's. She was hanging around with the wigeons and was fairly
assertive with them. After sharing many photos, consensus with more
knowledgeable birders 99% confirms Barrow's. One or 2 contemplated hybrid.
Photos which can be seen on eBird on our checklist.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S76769041
Bird is continuing as of this morning, 11/28, at 9:00am where she was
confirmed to be a Barrow's by someone we highly respect for his birding
knowledge.
Happy birding everyone :)
Sincerely,
Raina

--
Please check out Beach Bucket Brigade, founded and organized by sisters,
Cayla and Iris Rosenhagen.