As nocturnal landbird migration has faded to near zero, I've been finding it
more difficult to make an early start. This morning I reached Robert Moses SP,
Suffolk County, LI at 08:30 without a clear expectation of what the light wnw
winds might bring: on the one hand the possibility of a rare irruptive species,
such as Bohemian Waxwing or even Pine Grosbeak; on the other, waterbirds moving
A few American Pipits are still moving and were joined by the first big flocks
(>100) of Horned Larks and and Snow Buntings I've seen so far this season.
Among Fringillids, I saw just one flock of American Goldfinches, and single
American Robin and Downy Woodpecker were calling from the puckerbrush, as if
bewildered at their new haunts.

But the ocean side was even more lively. Some freshwater ducks on the move
included a flock of nine Northern Shoveler (a very tough bird at RMSP proper,
from the competitive patch listing point of view), but the highlights were the
smaller gulls, moving from east to west in very good numbers: 13 Black-legged
Kittiwakes, 940 Bonaparte's Gulls, seven tardy Laughing Gulls, and 160
Ring-billed Gulls. None of these seemed to be lingering to feed in this area,
but it might be worth checking places like Jones Inlet.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S77187476

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore