Hi Mike Cooper at al.,
Re the three-digit numbers, the ABA didn't create them - it proposed to use
the numbers in the AOU (now AOS) check list, which could be one-digit (e.g.
Western Grebe, AOU #1), two-digit, or three-digit numbers (e.g. Java
Sparrow, AOU #813). They could all be made three-digit numbers by padding
the short ones with preliminary zeros. But that didn't take.
  Yrs.,
   Bob Paxton