All,

Had about 7 hours to bird today so I made the most of it and began at one
of our local hotspots - Whitney Point Dam. along Keibal Rd. Jim Hoteling,
one of our fine local birders, made it there early and reported an amazing
250+ WW SCOTERS on the dam. I came up quickly and we found even more up the
reservoir. We had a close estimate of *400 WW SCOTERS* which crushed the
Broome Co previous high count record of 27. I also looked around the Finger
Lakes county's ebird reports and it looks like this could be a record for
upstate NY in the counties away from Lake Ontario/Lake Erie and of course
it pales in comparison to the staggering numbers that have been counted
from Long Island.  This is the most of this species I have ever seen away
from the coast by far. There were also other reports of high numbers of WW
SCOTERS around the Finger Lakes too. I suspect last night's heavy rain
coincided with a big migratory flight of this species and many of these
birds were forced down. Amazingly we carefully checked all the scoters and
only came up with 1 SURF SCOTER. We also had 4 RED-NECKED GREBES which are
rare in Broome Co but regular each year.

Keibal rd in Whitney Point is unique in that it has woodland and field
habitat that comes right up to the lake.  There were quite a few warbler
flocks mostly Yellow-rumped, but we also had several other species   List
for Keibal Rd is here https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S87440451

Upper Lisle County Park was quiet as we hit it midday and it was beginning
to get windy with temperatures around 40F. Upper Lisle Co. Park list is
here https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S87472754

I totaled 103 species in Broome County which was decent. I wish I had more
time.

I hope many of you had an awesome day too!

Good Birding to all!
Best,
Dave Nicosia