The continuing Wood Stork was seen by multiple (other) observers in Westhampton
twnshp., Suffolk County, NY thru Wed. afternoon, 5/12.

As an addendum of sorts to Paul Sweet’s sighting of Mississippi Kite at the
N.Y. Botanical Garden (in Bronx County) but just a bit extra-limital, on the
afternoon of May 9th (confirmed in eBird), there was a Swallow-tailed Kite
found in New London County May 12th, in eastern Connecticut, first reported by
Linda Vegliante of Preston, CT on that latter date.  NY-birders, keep looking
up!  (some photos of the latter bird by a later observer in the Macaulay
library archive: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/337457601
<https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/337457601> along with a couple more of same
bird in that observers checklist.) And, in the same neighbor-state, there was a
Little Egret found in Fairfield County, CT, also on May 12, with many observers.

Some strong migration was taking place again on Wed. night to Thursday,
throughout the region, & certainly for the N.Y. City area.
——
New York County (in N.Y. City), including Manhattan -
Wednesday, 5/12 -

A Yellow-breasted Chat was again seen, although not by all who sought it (it’s
a chat, after all) in Central Park’s north end.  The day brought sightings in
Central Park alone of at least 25 warbler species, and some small-groups of
observers managed to see at least 23 of those on the day, May 12th.  Other
parks in the county are also still providing very good diversity in songbirds &
landbirds. Among those many others, Inwood Hill Park has the only old-growth
forest on Manhattan, as a walk through the “Clove” area & up onto the high
ridge will attest - and birds there really belt out the song in spring; they do
seem to recognize excellent habitat when they’re in it. A Marsh Wren was
ongoing at Inwood Hill in the area near its n. edges. Black Vulture was again
seen from northern Manhattan locations.

A Broad-winged Hawk was lingering at Central Park, attracting attention from
birders into Wed., and still around in a number of locations are ‘late’
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers. Also running ‘late’ are a few Slate-colored Juncos,
and Winter Wren, among other migrants typically moved-on from N.Y. County
before mid-May.

Along with visiting a number of other Manhattan parks, I spent 5+ hours in Carl
Schurz Park, and spoke with a number of the regular birders who live nearby &
visit there often (some about every day), and of those I spoke with (including
the fellow who placed well-stocked feeders in the area where a much-observed
female W. Tanager has wintered), all agreed that the Western Tanager had not
been seen at all since the 3rd week in April (last day documented at Carl
Schurz Park, 4/22) & one of these most-experienced & near-daily birders told
me, “there are some who believe they continue to see that tanager; they are
unfortunately mistaken”. - his words. A number of Scarlet Tanagers have been
coming through & several (male & female) were in Carl Schurz Park on Wed.,
including a female which came near the feeder-array (which is nearly empty now,
& is not expected to be re-filled). I spent much of my time at & near the East
End Ave. feeder-array site, but also wandered the park, as did other birders at
various times. Fun to find not just Scarlet Tanager but also Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, & at least 11 warbler species including Cape May and
Blackpoll Warblers. Most of the other migrants I found in mid-afternoon,
scattered through that park (many migrants high in the taller trees), before
heading west & surveying some parts of several other parks in Manhattan.

good birding to all,

Tom Fiore
manhattan