I work on a 600 acre bulk liquid storage facility along the Kill Van Kull
in Bayonne. Our terminal is full of water-filled dikes, night lights, rocky
berms/expanses, weedy railroad rights-of-way, and the resultant winged
insects. It is loaded with breeding Common Nighthawks. What I've noticed is
that the males tend to roost offsite. Nightly at dusk, some males fly
across the Kill from Staten Island. They would be able to be heard/seen
from Richmond Terrace along the North Shore of Staten Island. A good
landmark (to line up with) are the tall brown cement tanks of the Lafarge
cement plant.

P.S. I mention this because I do not see any summer reports from Staten on
the eBird bar charts. I should really enter my nightly incidental sightings!

Mike Britt
Bayonne, NJ